If you are after a little drawstring pouch to hold a few essentials or to use as gift packaging, the Pretty Drawstring Pouch will fit the bill. Made from two fat 1/8's of quilting cotton and a length of ribbon, it can be made in under an hour. The lining is folded over to the front to make a contrasting casing for the drawstring.
It is sized at 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches (16.5 cm x 16.5 cm).
- 2 fat 1/8's quilting cotton - floral and polka dot
- 42 inches (107 cm narrow ribbon (1/4 inch wide)
Note: Seam allowance of 1/4 inch included.
1. Using the template, cut out two outer pieces (floral), and two lining pieces (polka dot).
2. Place the two outer pieces (floral) with the right sides facing. Stitch around from one side to the other, leaving the top open. Clip corners. Press.
3. Place the outer pouch on top of the lining panel (polka dot) and make a mark with a water soluble pen, just above the stitching line on both sides (as marked in Photo 3). Pin the two lining pieces together with the right sides facing. Stitch from the mark on one side around to the mark on the other side. Clip corners. Press.
4. Clip the seam of the lining at a 45 degree angle as shown in Photo 4. Repeat for each side. Press the seam allowance open. This will form part of the casing.
5. Stitch around the seam allowance on both sides of the casing as shown in Photo 5. 6. Turn the floral part of the pouch so that the print is facing outwards. Place the lining inside the pouch. There will be 3/4 inch (2 cm) of the lining showing at the top and this will form the casing. Press this part of the lining down so that it is level with the top of the pouch. Fold under 1/4 inch along the edge of the casing. 7. Pin the casing in place. 8. Stitch along the top and bottom edge of the casing. Cut the ribbon in half lengthwise. Using a safety pin, thread the ribbon through the casing on one side, and right around to exit on the same side. Repeat with the other piece of ribbon from the other opening. Knot the ends of the ribbon. Press.
And there you have it - a quick little pouch to hold all manner of things.